Membership Advocacy Council (MAC) focuses on enhancing the O&P practitioner by focusing on issues that affect patient care such as reimbursement and government affairs as well as elevating women, students, and residents within the profession. This council works on providing a solid foundation for Academy chapters and the Academy’s relationships with special constituencies.
Chair – Susan Kapp, MEd, CPO, LPO, FAAOP(D)
Academy Membership Committee
Chair – Jared A. Howell MS, CPO, FAAOP
Women in Orthotics & Prosthetics Committee
Chair – Shana Garland, CPO
The Women in Orthotics and Prosthetics Committee works to expand and improve educational and professional opportunities for women in or entering the O&P profession.
- Support professional growth and leadership for women in the field of orthotics and prosthetics
- Build a network and facilitate engagement between women in the field of orthotics and prosthetics
- Mentor, encourage, and develop young students, residents, and clinicians
- Advocate for career advancement and greater representation of women in leadership positions
- Identify education and training opportunities for members at all levels
- Provide a forum for members to seek advice on a variety of issues, including business and leadership challenges
- Celebrate excellence at all career levels for women in O & P
- Develop webinars/panel discussions biannually focusing on important concerns regarding women in O&P but also on topics that are related to the O&P field in a broader context.
- Host a networking social annually at the academy meeting to have experienced female practitioners meet and discuss topics with practitioners early in their career, creating relationships with members from around the country and world.
- Develop university/college chapters of Women in Orthotics and Prosthetics to initiate growth as leaders and support for members within the field as they progress through school and as clinicians.
- Promote conversation by posting forum discussions every 1 to 2 months on interesting and educational topics both related specifically to women and on broader O&P topics.
- Celebrate excellence in research in the field of orthotics and prosthetics and promoting women in research, awarding one female the Women in O & P scholarship.
Showcasing women leaders and women in specialty roles in our field with a spotlight of women every quarter
Chair – Kathleen Carroll, MSPO, CPO
The Student/Resident Committee facilitates opportunities for leadership and growth for O&P students and residents. The committee works to centralize efforts to enhance clinical applications, increase professional advocacy, establish opportunities for mentoring, create network resources, and address issues that are paramount for the development of a confident, knowledgeable practitioner.
Chair: Rebecca Jordan, MSPO
The Academy mentoring program pairs new entrants in the profession with mentors on an annual cycle. The objective of the Academy Mentoring Program is to foster relationships within the profession that follow the Student Resident Committee mission through networking, interacting, and encouraging relationships.
Chair – Rick Miller, CO, LO, FAAOP
Co-chair – Kris Desjardins, CPO, FAAOP
Co-chair – Keith Smith, CO/LO, FAAOP